From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Oct 2013 10:53:22 -0400
Hopefully the table below does not become too scrambled.  I thought I would look at the number of sports each current Big Ten school is supporting.  Four schools have both men's and women's ice hockey.  The other two schools both have women's field hockey.  I am not sure if there is any sort of correlation there or not.

Do any of the other schools have a competitive and long-time club hockey team?  Personally I think it is unlikely the other schools are going to add a non-revenue generating men's sport.  They may also need to add a women's sport if they would end up with some sort of proportionality problem.  Hockey teams are not small.

                Men's   Women's
Has Both Men's & Women's Hockey
Ohio State      18      19
Penn State      15      14
Minnesota       11      12
Wisconsin       11      12

Has Men's Hockey
Michigan        13      14
Michigan State  11      12

Has No Hockey
Iowa            10      12
Indiana         10      12
Nebraska        9       13
Illinois        9       10
Northwestern    8       11
Purdue          9       9

Ohio Statue includes Spirit program for men and women.
Illinois includes women's Cheerleading.

Thank you,

Doug Peterson