From:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Geringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 23:34:25 -0500
For Immediate Release
Dave Geringer				Athletic Department			(508) 990-9651
Sports Information Director	    	 201 C Tripp Athletic Center 		[log in to unmask]

HOCKEY WINS AT SALVE REGINA, 6-2

PORTSMOUTH, RI-The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth's hockey team scored four times in the first period and went on to defeat host Salve Regina, 6-2, in a non-conference game at the Portsmouth Abbey Ice Rink Saturday evening.

Senior forward Matt Berard (Calgary, AB/Berkshire School) put the Corsairs on top with a goal 1:36 into the game after the Corsairs won a face-off in the offensive zone. Junior forward Jason Stahl (Londonderry, NH/Valley Jr. Warriors) made it 2-0 a minute and 20 seconds later.Junior forward Todd Bartelson (Pepperell, MA/Valley Jr. Warriors) then scored twice, with his second goal coming with 42 seconds remaining in the first period and putting UMD ahead, 4-0.

Sophomore forwards Giancarlo Capodanno (Mountainside, NJ/New Jersey Rockets) and Mike Owens (South Boston, MA/Boston Jr. Bulldogs) scored in the second period to put the Corsairs ahead, 6-0. The Seahawks scored with a two-man advantage, then again on a deflection to make it 6-2 after the second period.

UMass Dartmouth out shot Salve Regina, 30-22. Senior goaltender Jon Dryjowicz-Burek (Ludlow, MA/Springfield Jr. Falcons) made 20 saves for the Corsairs.

“We had a very good week leading up to this game, and we played very well,” said UMass Dartmouth Head Coach John Rolli. “We played a very good first period, We’re happy to get back to .500, and we have two very big league games coming up.”

UMD improved to 5-5-1 with the victory, while Salve Regina dropped to 1-12-0 with the defeat. The Corsairs will return to action when they visit Westfield State Tuesday evening.

				UMASS DARTMOUTH HOCKEY