From:
"Hampton, Nathan E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:30:06 -0500
It is not an issue of fan interest, when has that ever been of concern to a league commissioner? Given that there was an interlocking schedule and it was abandoned, the reason it was abandoned was because the added revenue was less than the cost for at least one if not both of the two associations (HE and WCHA). So the likelihood of that relic resurfacing is either slim or none. Fortunately, there are alternatives to interlocking league schedules - tournaments. Not only the current ones (there is even one in Estero, Florida!) but new tournaments can be developed which require no interlocking schedules. Someone out-East can attempt a "Hockey East Shootout" and invite any WCHA teams they want, and someone out-West can attempt a "Big West shootout" in Denver, Minneapolis, or Grand Forks by inviting their eastern cousins. By having the tournament in larger arenas you convert the "fan interest" into revenue. Unfortunately this favors the bigger schools with the bigger names, but so what.

Nathan Hampton