From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Sep 2005 11:41:07 -0500
The NCAA press release says:

"Information the NCAA received from the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe and the
Sisseton-Wahpeton Sioux Tribe clearly indicates both tribes oppose the
university's use of the "Fighting Sioux" nickname and imagery. Several requests
made by the NCAA to the Spirit Lake Tribe for clarification on its position
went unanswered. Additionally, the Board of Directors of the United Tribes of
North Dakota, with representatives of the five federally recognized tribes with
a presence in the state, including the three Sioux tribes, unanimously passed a
resolution supporting the NCAA decision to ban the use of Native American
mascots, nicknames and imagery at NCAA championships."

The full release is available at:

http://www2.ncaa.org/media_and_events/press_room/2005/september/20050928_franklin_stmnt_und.html

-- Erik