From:
"Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:53:53 -0800
Hi All,

I just printed out (and read) the 1976 article on the result of the NCAA
"investigation." To me (an unbiased fan of neither team),  the report
seemed to have left out a lot of dirty laundry. If they decided not to
make a bigger issue and keep a lid on things, they may have done this on
purpose. (Assuming Ed's description is basically correct including
racial slurs) It would appear to be a whitewash. OTOH, they could
honestly feel that the witnesses they called didnt produce enough
evidence to decide anything stronger.

OTOH, it could be that OUR eyewitnesses (on our list) didnt get it
correctly .... as sometimes happens in witness testimony in court , for
example.

What would REALLY be interesting would be if someone had caught it on
tape or film (not sure tape was around then for the average Joe) ... or
even an audio tape. I wonder .....

This is an amazing thread, and happened during my "college hockey void"
running from 1965 to about the early 90s when I joined the list and got
back into it on the internet.

I must agree that using a player to take out a star on the other team
happens all the time, right or wrong, and usually later on in the game,
but it still happens, we all know that. We also know folks who go out
with intent to injure, in all sports, not just hockey.

But I do think racial slurs and spitting go way over the line, which
admittedly is a grey one when you are competing for a title, especially.

My 2 pesos,

Tony Buffa
RPI '64