From:
"Hampton, Nathan E." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Feb 2005 17:06:41 -0600
I do not believe I am doing this, but coming to the aid of the Gophers on this I am. Like him or not, Herb Brooks was a smart man and would have carefully choosen his target for a one-for-one trade. Why Terry Meagher? Was he the leading scorer, best player, a knight in shinninng armour? Or was he a hot-headed captain who would fall for such foolery? Obviously he was stupid enough to get his butt kicked out of a game. That means the team did not deserve to win the game or the tournament if the captain cannot absorb some minor verbal abuse nor if the coach did not have him prepared for such an attack. There is no prejudice, bigotry or other emotional aspects to the event. Rather there was a strategy successfully employed, thanks to a willing and gullible opponent who I would not have any pride in considering as a national champion.

Nathan Eric Hampton