From:
mike patten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2005 09:21:04 -0500
therin lies the question.. are we rewarding teams for what they did all
year or who we feel is the best at the time the seeding is done.. in b-ball
they do both.. they try to reward a team for the year by letting them in
and then they seed based on how well they think they will do once the
tourney starts.. and if it comes down to 2 teams one team that had a good
year but is playing poorly at the end and another that had a bad start but
is playing well at the end they almost always take the team playing well at
year end. the coaches always admit they try to get teams to peak so they
are playing best at the end.. and in hockey with leagues that play
different numbers of games and start at different times of the year the
water gets more muddied. if you want to reward a team for winning games
early you should also penalize them for playing poorly late. the problem
isn't PWR, the problem is that it shouldn't be the lone criteria , yet no
one trusts anyone in the hockey selection process to be objective..