From:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rick McAdoo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Mar 2004 18:02:08 -0500
I think folks are right that the prospect of a rookie cap that is more
severe than currently exists in the NHL agreement will provide an incentive
for more college players to turn pro ASAP.  I'm thinking that it is the
agents who are more interested in getting them signed (and getting their
fee based on the larger contract) than anyone else.  I'm not sure I
understand the incentive for the NHL teams to sign players, though.  Do
they have to sign a draftee by a certain time or face the prospect of
losing them?  In the case of free agents, then at least I understand the
urgency in signing someone before they are snapped up by another team.

Parise is probably a special case, in that the Devils may think he can help
them in this year's playoffs and may want him available for use.  (That's
one thing that hockey has over other sports, in that players can be brought
in on short notice for the playoffs and play only 1 or 2 games at a time.
I don't think there is any requirement that they name a "playoff" roster in
advance.)

In a way I'm sorry that Zach is turning pro, as I haven't really had a lot
of chances to see him play in college, and the game is more open and free-
flowing than the NHL (usually.)  Still, I'm sure he'll have a great shot at
a career at the big level.  The Devils seem more accommodating to ex-
college (and smaller) players than many teams.

-- Rick McAdoo
GO BC!