From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:36:05 -0800
I think “Hail to the Victors” is a victim of its own success.  It’s a very “catchy” tune, and for
days after I hear it, I absent mindedly whistle or hum it, or it cycles through my head, all of
which annoy me.  That happens if I only hear it a few times, so it’s not just the number of
repetitions that causes it.  Since it annoys me the first time I hear it, the annoyance only
icreases after each repetition.

I imagine for any Michigan fan, it’s hardwired into the neural circuitry, including raising your
fist for “Hail” (no comments about Pavlov's dogs here).

It isn’t even the worst offender for repetition, in my opinion.  In the Whatever Megacorporation
Bowl for the “NCAA Football” championship, it seemed like the Oklahoma band played “Boomer Sooner”
after every play, even ones that went the other team’s way.  Due to poetic justice, I guess, they
lost.

Clay