From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 02:44:39 -0500
Well, this is the first time in quite a while that HOCKEY-L messages have
outnumbered spam in my in-box!  It's good to see the activity; I expect
this thread is one of the most responded-to in HOCKEY-L's history.

Anyway, I've been a Cornell fan since arriving on campus in (gulp) '82.  I
also follow Elmira College, but the Big Red remain my first love.

If you can stand the ramblings of an "old greybeard" -- I may be as close
to a "charter" member of HOCKEY-L and its predecessor, college_hockey, as
there is on the list these days.  I discovered the wonders of UseNet in
1989 and followed the occasional (VERY occasional) thread on college hockey
in rec.sport.hockey.  During the summer of that year, there was a message
or two from Mike Machnik attempting to gauge the level of interest in a
mailing list devoted to the college game, and apparently he received enough
positive responses, because on Friday, September 15, 1989, the following
appeared on rec.sport.hockey:

         FINALLY!  It's here!

    I hereby
announce the creation of a new mailing
    list,

         college_hockey

   The purpose of this list is to provide a forum
    exclusively for
discussions relating to collegiate
    ice hockey.  The relaying of local
scores is also
    a main concern, since several of us spent much time

tracking down obscure scores last year and we'd like
    to have a quick
way to find and relay them.

    I expect that most of the discussion on
this list will
    concern U.S. college hockey, specifically, NCAA
Division
    I hockey; but, it will not be limited to this; postings
    on
Div. II/III, club, or Canadian university hockey
    will also be welcome.

    The creation of this list is not intended in any way to

signify that we believe that college hockey discussion is
    either
unwanted or should cease in rec.sport.hockey.  We
    merely want a quicker
way to move scores and information
    AND to help people across the
country learn about teams
    they never get to see.  For the most part,
mail tends to
    be quicker than news.

    We hope to have several people
involved from all the major
    leagues (WCHA, CCHA, ECAC, Hockey East)
plus independents
    so that we can have access to a large amount of
information.
    Currently, the list consists of Keith Instone at Bowling

  Green (CCHA) and myself at Apollo/Merrimack (Hockey East).
    However,
even if you don't have access to scores/etc. but
    are a fan of the game,
you'll be welcome.

    If you'd like to be placed on the list, send mail
to me.  I
    will send you an introductory message with the address of

the list.  Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from
    all the college
fans out there.

    -
mike
==

And thus was the list born.

Many thanks to Wayne for hosting HOCKEY-L, and to the myriad of posters who
have contributed over the years; I've recognized some names in this thread
that I haven't seen for a while.  Our subscriber list may not be what it
once was, but I enjoy reading about and discussing college hockey on this
list.  I'm of the opinion that, even with the numerous web pages and other
media available, there's always going to be a place for HOCKEY-L.
--
Bill Fenwick                                                 DJF   5/27/94
Cornell '86 and '95                                          JCF   12/2/97