From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:13:35 -0800
Ditto to Brian's point that if Wayne posted, so must we all!

1.  Maine / Hockey East (can we start a "my conference is better than
yours" debate, just for old times sake?)

2.  Any team playing UNH (GO FRIARS!)
3.  Any team playing BU (though it wouldn't break my heart to see BU
knock off BC.)

As a former ADMIN, and current ADMIN to a Maine hockey discussion list,
I still think lists have a purpose.  Someone mentioned that they have
been unable to "get into" USCHO message boards, and I am the same way.
I've tried a couple times, but just can't do it.

A moderated discussion list tends to be at a higher discussion level,
and I don't mean that in an arrogant way, but rather that you really
have to "own" your post.  Because you subscribe to this list with an
valid e-mail address and posts are moderated, the accountability issue
is strong.  If you are going to make a post, you'd better be prepared
to defense your argument.

What this list and so many lists (and mine included) don't have is the
same visability that message boards have because they are often not
tied to web sites.  The web is what drives the Internet now and it is
where all the "people" are.

Do a Google Search for College Hockey.  You don't find anything about
HOCKEY-L high in the search (if at all?  I gave up after 4 pages).  If
you are a college hockey fan looking to "talk hockey", USCHO and other
sites are naturally going to be where you gravitate toward.

A web site dedicated to promoting HOCKEY-L and marketed specifically to
appear high in the search engines in the approrpriate areas, IMHO,
would go a long way toward increasing the visability and if it was done
as to market the list, could also help the "restocking" that others
have mentioned.

That's my $.02.

-Deron