From:
drakelore <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
drakelore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:22:22 -0600
I must admit that as a Gopher fan, I sat down at the computer and in
front of the tv tonight a little nervous.  Considering what I have seen
over the last 4 weeks from my Gophers.  I was beginning to wonder if
they had super glue on their blades.

But this Friday night, at least in the first period they decided to
pick up there heads and look down and ice instead of down at their
feet. Within the first 10 minutes, the Gophs had goals from from Irmen
and Potulny to go up 2-0 .  (Scoring first in a game for the first time
this season.)  And up 3-0 with 5 minutes left with a great goal by
Koalska with Vanek giving him the puck.  (At least they waited to score
until I walked back in from putting my laundry in the dryer!)

Kellen Briggs started in goal tonight and did not let out as many
rebounds as he did last Saturday.  Personally, I was hoping that Lucia
would start Briggs on Friday.  I just did not think that Johnson looked
that sharp on Friday.  The first ended 3-0 Gophers.

The second started with not quite the same intensity, but the Gophs did
make two nice pushes during a short handed effort in the first 5
minutes.  So far, the Pioneers are not becoming goons and frustrated,
they are working hard and keep plugging away.  Denver scored on a power
play at 14:40 and made it 3-1.  At 12:51 Vanek got Denver with a wrap
around goal, making it 4-1 for the Gophers.  Then just after that we
had a bit of a "square-dance" as the Gophers got a bit overheated when
one of the Pioneers ran in to Briggs while he was making a save.  (That
is how I am sure the Gophers saw it - me, I just think the Denver
player could not stop.)  Denver then changed goalies.  Within 2
minutes, the Gophers then went up 5-1 with a goal by Potulny.  (Someone
has to tell these guys I am not practiced at typing and watching the
screen at the same time.  I don't suppose it would help to tell them to
slow down.  yeah, I know.)  And of course right then I have to get the
laundry, and come back to the Gophers really pressing.  At the end of 2
it was still 5-1.  We started to see a Gopher team that started to do
all the little things you need to do at both ends of the ice.  I am not
saying "they are back," I just think that they are showing themselves
what they can do.  I am still impressed with Denver.  They are getting
a bit more physical, but not chippy.  It would be real easy to get
disgusted and decide to take your anger out with a lot of cheap stuff.

The third brought Denver getting a goal about 3 minutes in.  Now it is
5-2.  I hate to say that the Gophers let the Pioneer walk right around
the slot an then just put it in.  Then at 12:28, the Gophers went up
6-2 with a beautiful goal by Riddle.  He skated around the right circle
and then deeked (sp?) his way around front and put it over the goalie's
shoulder.  As the period progressed, the Gophers kept pressing and
breaking up plays in their own end, while continuing to pressure the
Denver goalie.  While Briggs at the other end in goal stayed very
steady.  With under 4 minutes, Denver made quite the push, and
unfortunately for the Pioneers, their player had the goalie down and
could not lift the puck over him.

Game ended with the Gophers winning 6-2.  As a Gopher fan, it was good
to see them do the things that we know they can do.  But I am sure that
Denver will come back with everything they have tomorrow.

I guess the boys decided that summer vacation was finally over.  (Maybe
that cold weather that finally blew in last week woke them up!)

Until tomorrow.

Kathy Martin
Go Gophers!