From:
"Anthony J. Buffa" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Anthony J. Buffa
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:06:20 -0700
Hello All from bucolic and isolated central coastal California,

I was out of town all weekend, but managed to catch the score of the
championship game on Saturday afternoon. Sounded like a great victory
for UMinn, congratulations to the gophers.

Upon my return home, I was very disappointed to see the sports HEADLINES
in my local rag, about the ensuing riots. Not once during the year did
they even print a college hockey score, however, after the season is
over, the publicity college hockey gets is this?? Who needs it. No one
here will even know who played, just that there were riots.

No wonder the people I try to convert just dismiss it as a bunch of
goons, like the NHL. I realize it is just a small minority (I saw a few
ugly incidents in the stands in Anaheim in 1999 after the game but
dismissed it), but what is the point? It sure seems that we shouldnt
complain about what is happening Baghdad now, looting hospitals, etc.,
if we act the same way. Why would you destroy your own environment and
reputation?

I wont attempt to make any generalizations pertaining to Division 1
sports  or our modern society, but clearly some people will, and who
knows if they arent right?

Cheers to all,

Tony Buffa
RPI '64