From:
Stephen Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stephen Roth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 17:01:19 -0700
During my days at Canisius, we always played both anthems.  There were essentially three reasons:  1)  lot of Canadians on the team; 2) Buffalo and Canada are very close neighbors (as an old Labatt's beer commercial put it, "a whole 'nother country just north of Buffalo!") -- lots of Canadians attend Canisius games; and 3) an honoring of hockey's North American tradition.

I suppose one could argue for inclusion of Russian, Slovakian, etc. anthems as well -- but for schools like Canisius it represents a tradition of a rather unique national friendship.  That's worth keeping, I think, and maybe even worth emulating.

There's also the secret 4th reason:  lots of folks close to the border -- especially musicians -- think the Canadian anthem is way cooler than our hard-to-sing Star Spangled Banner....!!

...Steve Roth