From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 18:41:01 -0800
--- [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Men's basketball has enough fan interest that they can require
>neutral site games, but it is the only sport that can do it.  In most others,
>the higher seed gets home field, but in hockey, we base the home rink on bids
>made years in advance.
> a boost, Maine feels a bit hosed, and CC is glad that their home team is not

If hockey did what most other sports do, we would have:

At Ithaca
#1 Cornell vs. #16 Wayne
#8 BC vs. #9 Michigan

At Durham
#4 UNH vs. #13 Mankato
#5 BU vs. #12 Harvard

At Colorado Springs
#2 CC vs. #15 Mercyhurst
#7 Ferris vs. #10 North Dakota

At St. Paul
#3 Minnesota vs. #14 St. Cloud
#6 Maine vs. #11 Ohio State

We only need to make one adjustment, to eliminate the St. Cloud -- Minny matchup.  Can't move 13
or 15, because that would set up another intraconference game.  So we move Harvard to St. Paul.
There are some great matchups there.  BU gets a small advantage, and Minnesota plays a higher
seeded team, but also one that would have to travel a long way.

If we have to have on-campus locations, I think they should go to the higher seed.  At least then,
whatever advantage that exists is won on the ice, and not by the athletic department.

Clay