From:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joe Makowiec <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 13:54:29 -0500
At 11:16 AM 3-22-2003 -0600, Rowe, Thomas wrote:
>Hockey, relatively speaking, [with exceptions, I am sure] seems to be a
>fairly pure enterprise with a good graduation record.  Can the same thing
>be said of football or squeakball?  I am not dissing anyone here, nor am I
>suggesting an athlete is any less deserving than a non-athlete in terms of
>scholarships - but I am suggesting that an athlete is not *more* deserving
>than a non-athlete.

Thursday's NY Times had an article citing Myles Brand, the new head of the
NC$$ (*philosophy* grad of RPI, btw).  Apparently, his emphasis is going to
be on the graduation rate in men's squeakball, and he's talking about some
kind of reward (greater share in revenues)/ punishment (loss of
scholarships) system.  ("A Plan to Punish Teams for Poor Grades", NYT, 20
Mar 2003, p D1; article online at
http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/20/sports/ncaabasketball/20COLL.html)

Meanwhile, my RPI alumni magazine has an article saying that over half the
men's hockey team are dean's list.

Joe
--
Joe Makowiec can be reached at: