From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 2003 12:22:29 -0500
My 2 cents worth!

I'm sorry but this certainly seems to be more about money than
safety.  We are all concerned about what might unfold in the days and
weeks ahead.  However, in terms of the hoops tourney, air
reservations have been made, hotels booked, and schedules altered.
And what has scared the NCAA, CBS may not be able to broadcast games
in the event of war as they'll be covering the war.  CBS is looking
for help from ESPN, an ABC affiliate, and while they would love the
games, ABC is probably not keen on helping CBS out to compete against
their news division.

I have heard rumors that MTV, VH1, and TVLand are all possibilities,
which means fewer viewers, unhappy advertisers and ultimately less
revenue.

Do I want the NCAA to be concerned for my safety when I go to
Buffalo, absolutely.  However, until such point that they make
decisions based on what is best for the student athlete, i.e. not
playing hoops Tuesday night in Syracuse and Thursday night in South
Bend on a school week, will I believe that they have everyone's best
interests at heart.

Bob Fitta
UMaine '83

--