From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:34:15 -0800
I was thinking in more general terms than this year specifically.  As you say, the
financial/attendance success of the western regionals have a lot to do with location.

A couple of years ago, there was a very interesting discussion about relative attendance at the
regionals.  I was in what was basically a full house at Worcester, while thousands of folks were
at the western regional (I think it was Madison that year) disguised as empty seats.

I'm also admittedly mixing issues.  Part of the discussion was also about on-campus sites, which I
think are a bad idea, since they are inherently non-neutral if the host team is in the regional.
There were many responses that it was pretty much necessary to have them at on-campus sites
because attendance at non-campus sites tended to be poor.

Clay