From:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Abegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 14:24:50 -0500
The NCAA has boxed itself in to some degree with the new rules, but mostly
they're a victim of bad luck for this year.

In an ideal world, the tournament model would have the #1 and #2 seeds all
staying in their own region, and drawing the big crowds.

This year the #1 and #2 seeds will likely have 5 Eastern and 3 Western teams
(Cornell and the big 4 HEA schools). So one of the Eastern teams goes west
automatically. The only alternative would be to drop someone to a #3 seed
and have them play one of the other HEA schools in the opener.

The second problem comes from automatically dumping #1 team CC in
Minneapolis, because they're closer. With Minnesota hosting, the Minneapolis
regional has its top half filled. This leaves Ferris in Ann Arbor, but they
can't stay there as a #2 seed because they would play #3 Michigan. So Ferris
has to come East, putting two HEA teams in Ann Arbor.

In other words, the problem is where the host teams Michigan and Minnesota
fall in the brackets.

What would change things? Minnesota climbing to a #1 (which might only need
a BU loss to BC) or Michigan falling to a #4. If this happens, there's space
for Ferris to stay in the West.