From:
Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:05:59 -0800
Thanks Lexy

Well, that clarifies some things for me, but begs some other questions.

I've only seen the very grainy, jerky, small image on the NECN website, but based on what I saw
and what I've read, and what I understand about charging, I didn't see a charging either.  Clearly
Eaves took several strides, but not toward Exter.  The collision happened because two players were
going for the puck, not going for each other.

I don't really see any penalty that fits -- I like Arthur's suggestion of a "dangerous play"
penalty (though depending on how it's defined, it actually could have gone to either; in soccer,
for example, two players try to kick the ball, one standing and one on the ground, it's the player
on the ground that gets the foul).  Or perhaps, there could be a penalty called "negligence."
Just as the crime of manslaughter doesn't require criminal intent, a "negligence" penalty would
not necesarily require intent.

<The penalty, “Attempt to Injure,” does not require deliberate behavior.>

This is a really stupid statement, especially since it uses inflammatory terms.  If an "attempt to
injure" penalty can be an oxymoron, then they should add a comment that a penalty can be a major
and/or a DQ if injury results, not change the plain meaning of a word.

Clay