From:
Andy Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andy Weise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:59:49 -0500
At 08:26 AM 3/11/2003 -0500, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>I don't usually comment but i have to on the comments below.  The two I am
>targeting is blaming Coach Sneddon and the 5 forwards on the power play.  I
>would not blame coach Sneddon for ANYTHING.  For those of us who remember
>what it was like when we first went D1, I will take this over back then any
>time.  It took a long time to start to get players to respect Union when
>they came to visit.  Our goaltender was a Freshman, and whether we can
>label his errors as "Freshman mistakes" or not, who can tell, but
>considering that we were in position to finish as high as 4th, I will give
>coach Sneddon nothing but credit.

Well, I didn't mean to imply that I "blamed" Kevin Sneddon for anything. I
couldn't agree more that Sneddon has done an exceptional job running the
Union hockey program. In my book, he's probably one of a few candidates
in line for ECAC Coach of the Year. Additionally, I sent him a note on Sunday
to congratulate him and the team on their achievements this past season and
to express my support for him and the program. As a Union graduate, hockey
fan, and season ticket holder, I couldn't have been more proud of how they
played this year.

>Regarding the 5 forwards.  If you watched the Pittsburgh Penguins the last
>few years (before the trading of Kovalev and when Straka was healthy), they
>did the same thing.  Nothing scared opponents more than to see the 5
>forwards on the ice against only 4 players.  Union's power play struggled
>this year, as was never more evident than watching Fri's game on YES.
>Something had to be done to get goals.  It was something Union tried.
>Maybe it should not have been done, but I will take "going for it" anytime
>over not "going for it."

Believe me, I witnessed the power play struggles first-hand. As I said, I don't
dismiss the need for doing *something* to generate some badly-needed offense.
I just felt (for the past few weeks, actually) that it was a bit dangerous
to not have
any defensemen on the ice during a power play. My general understanding is
that
a defenseman would be more "trained" to stay back and play defense first,
instead
of jumping into the offensive fray (if there are any current/former players
reading
this, please don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong).

This was simply one item on which I disagreed with Sneddon. By no means was
this meant to say that he's responsible or should be blamed for anything.

-Andy