From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:50:29 -0500
> and either could win it.  In the other semifinal, UNH will be the favorite
> over UMass.  But the Minutemen are better than in the past, and the
> question for them is whether their young lineup can handle the pressure of
> the Fleet Center matchup.  I would guess that, as a first-time entrant to
> the semis, UMass will have a hard time getting into their game and dealing
> with UNH's defensive pressure.  It is nice, though, to see someone new
make
> it this far in the playoffs.

I don't think UMass will be intimidated by the FleetCenter or by UNH.  That
doesn't mean that they are going to win, or even play well because as we all
know often times it is a slow progression up the ladder in terms of building
a program.

However, Maine's poor play of late not withstanding, UMass did go to Orono
and not only win one game, but sweep Maine in their own building.  UNH and
Providence, for instance went many, many years in a row without winning in
Orono, despite having great teams.  It isn't an easy place to win
(especially for Maine lately.. hehe).

If UNH does not come to play UMass like a bonafide semi-final opponent they
will be the next victim.  These young players at UMass are not afraid of
anyone, anywhere it would seem - maybe they are too young to know better.
If they can sweep Maine in Orono, they can beat UNH, BU or BC at the
FleetCenter.

Will they?  Time will tell, but I would not mind seeing a team other than
the big 4 win the Hockey East Tournament.

-Deron
http://www.blackbears.net