From:
Rich Shelley <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rich Shelley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 2003 23:20:44 -0500
From the perspective of a HS official in Massachusetts, I'd have to disagree
that taking the route of "intent to injure" is understandable or
appropriate. (I attended the game, and also have seen the replay of the
collision several times -- basically concur that the hit was not malicious).
This a grave accusation -- in HS sports in Mass., it calls for the
suspension of that player for one calendar year from all athletics. While I
realize this is not the case in college sports, any official has to
appreciate that this phrase carries serious legal ramifications and should
never be applied in a cavalier manner. IMHO, this was an unfortunate
overreaction by the officials that may end up having significant
consequences.