From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Mar 2003 00:11:27 -0500
On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Andy Weise wrote:

> Another solid and almost dominating effort by the Dutchmen, but the
> Big Green take advantage of scoring opportunities and defeat Union
> tonight 2-1 at Achilles.  Nick Boucher was excellent in goal for
> Dartmouth, stopping many of Union's good scoring chances.

This marks three consecutive good efforts by Union, but they have only
one win to show for it.  Boucher was strong, and Union seemed to be
making one too many passes for much of the night.  If they can keep
up this kind of effort, they should have some good success in the
playoffs.

After the game, Union held the annual Senior Night ceremony to honor
Randy Dagenais, Jason Kean, Kris Goodjohn, Nathan Gilles, and Marc
Wise.  I'll post some pictures soon.

> With the win, combined with Yale's loss to Cornell, Dartmouth
> finishes in third place and earns the final first-round bye. Union
> finishes 6th and gets to host their arch rival RPI next weekend in
> Schenectady.

The loss to Dartmouth cost Union a shot at their highest-ever ECAC
finish.  They finished in 5th in 1997.

That should be quite a scene at Achilles next weekend.  We've been
waiting 13 years for a home playoff game, and if it's anything like
the playoff games from the Division III days, it will be a pretty
intense atmosphere.  All I ask of the Union fans is to come out and
buy your tickets soon so there aren't so many available for the folks
from Troy, and PLEASE leave the oranges at home!  RPI took 3 points
from Union this season, the only team that finished 5th place or lower
to take more than two from the Dutchmen.

Union and RPI have met in an ECAC playoff series twice before, both at
Houston Field House.  In 1994, Union took the first game 4-3, then RPI
came back to take the next two.  In 1997, Union dropped a pair of 3-1
decisions as RPI's Joel Laing's 78 saves on 80 Union shots spoiled two
great efforts by the Dutchmen.

--
Jim Teresco - [log in to unmask]
http://www.teresco.org