From:
"Joshua D. Gibney" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joshua D. Gibney
Date:
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 11:19:32 -0500
On Mon, 20 Jan 2003, Daniel McMurrer wrote:

> A key goal for UNH by Martz late in the 2nd period gave UNH a 2-1 lead at
the second intermission.  The goal was scored with heavy traffic in front
of the crease, and appeared to go into the net after the ref had blown the
play dead (after UMass goalie Waidlich appeared to have covered the puck).

The play was never blown dead, there was a scrum, and Bunyon (who LOVE to
ref' the scoreboard, but that's a different topic) called out "it's loose,
it's loose", and then Martz chipped it past Wadlich.  I don't think Bunyon
saw it go in, as Trovato fished the puck out almost immediately (it almost
went to the back of the net, but with the traffic, Bunyon was blocked).
The goal light went on right away, but Bunyon didn't signal right away.
He looked to the goal judge for confirmation and got it, and signaled
goal, to the ire of the Mullins Center crowd, but it was clearly a goal (I
was sitting in a corner behind the net)