Date:
Mon, 6 Jan 2003 08:11:43 EST
I can't help myself!  I usually don't reply, but here goes! Years ago, baby
boomer athletes (males only since we females were relegated to the sport of
softball or swimming with no scholarships) were thrilled to have a school pay
them to play and they got an education in the process.

My feeling is that many of today's athletes have a sense of entitlement. Some
think they are being "used" by a school for their athletic ability. To them I
say, then use the school back and get your degree!  It's a two-way street!

Premiere athletes are lucky - lucky to have athletic ability, lucky to be
recognized for it, lucky to remain uninjured, lucky to play a sport and damn
lucky to get a free or discounted education in the process. How short sighted
to leave school and a free education!

College is a four year bubble of opportunity. No other time in life can an
athlete be surrounded by adoring fans and nurturing mentors. Life is hard and
there are no guarantees. Athletes who earn a degree have options! And life is
about options!

It's not easy to be a student athlete. Training, practice and games added to
academics are an incredible load. Kudos to those athletes who see it through!

To all other student athletes, I ask them to consider the player who didn't
get a scholarship, who wasn't invited to "walk on" to a team, who has not
gained the free extra academic help, but who loves the sport as much as you
do and would do almost anything to be in your place and yet still admires you
for your ability. You owe it to them! But most importantly scholarship
athletes owe it to themselves to get a degree.

Okay, this hockey mom steps down from her soap box!