From:
Doug Peterson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 17:28:55 -0500
If anyone is looking for rationale on why Morris did not participate in the
investigation, then it may be worthwhile going back to the public
statements he made about this.  His statement is below, along with his
version of the incident:

"This was a done deal before the investigation even started, or so it
appeared. Clarkson had contacted their attorney about my termination
before the investigation was started. After obtaining legal advice, I chose
not to participate in the investigation because it was not independent. It
was conducted by Clarkson’s own law firm which had already been
consulted about my termination.

"Here’s exactly what happened. As is customary, we play shinny after our
pre-game skate. I had been struck once prior by one of my players into
the boards. I skated over to the player, put my arm around his shoulder
and made a comment to him. The second time he hit me was during our
shinny game, we play four on four. I felt as though I was being threatened,
and I attempted to defend myself. I told the player to take his things out of
the locker. And in 15 seasons I’ve played shinny with a lot of guys and
I’ve never been body checked into the boards before. We’ve had some
games that have gotten pretty heated over time but never have been body
checked into the boards by a player.

"It was apparent to me he was dissatisfied that he would not be playing in
the St. Lawrence game, due to some decisions that were made. On
Monday I was informed by my athletic director he was going to handle it
between me and the player, and that the incident would not cost me my
job. Meanwhile the administration had already been in touch with their law
firm about my termination."

The president's comments about the incident were:

"As the University has said on earlier occasions, the statements that we
received from six witnesses to the incident on November 2 contradict the
account Mr. Morris has given after his termination.

"The witnesses provided written and signed accounts that were
consistent: the player made light contact with Mr. Morris on two occasions
while performing 'rub-offs.' The player did not check Mr. Morris into the
boards and was not more forceful than was typical for those games. After
the first rub-off, Mr. Morris commended the player, saying that was the
type of aggressive play he wanted from his players.

"Mr. Morris reacted to the second rub-off in a way that shocked all those
present — after the rub-off was concluded and the player was skating
away, Mr. Morris hit the player in the face and neck with the stick, lifted off
the player's helmet with the stick, and hooked his stick in the player's
genital area, pulling the player towards him, all the while shouting
obscenities. Another coach separated Mr. Morris from the player. The
player never fought back, and after that left the ice."

Certainly there is a contradiction in the stories being presented.  The
president chose to address the contradiction raised by Morris regarding
what happened on the ice, with witnesses to back him up.  He did not
chose to address the statements around Morris participation, the alleged
"done deal", at least not in the letter to the newspaper.  I would be
interested in knowing if he addressed it somewhere else.

Doug Peterson
I didn't see it.
I didn't do it.
I'm not a lawyer.