Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2002 11:52:35 EST
From the fairly unsophisticated NY city market, the view appears to be that they love the Olympics, and there has been large support for eliminating the two line pass.  If even NYers are talking about it, then I'd expect that the NHL will have to take notice.

Question from watching the Olympics, though, is whether the "2-line" issue is blurred by the general higher skill level.  It's great to allow 50 foot passes, and even better when Leetch or Rafalski are making the passes, but how will it work when Hal Gill is trying to hit P.j. Stock?  But, in my view, it doesn't hurt to try it.

During the discussion the larger ice issue came up.  WHile the NHL could mandate larger ice for the new arenas, someone pointed out that all of the "new" arenas in the 90s were built on the older 85' not the 100' size.  (Boston, both Fla teams, Chic, Phoenix, Phil?) I don't know how many other new arenas are up for construction.