From:
"Rowe, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Rowe, Thomas
Date:
Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:44:19 -0600
Eric writes:
-------
"I talked to a few people over the years that Hockey-L is almost too
structured,
they have been afraid to post something and either get attacked or
removed from
the list, have their posting privledges screened by a moderator before
their
message can be posted to the list. I remember in the past debates have
been
squashed the minute they appear to be crossing this mysterious line of
where
people appear to be getting upset. One person that I used to write back
and
forth with simply unsubscribed becasue he tired of "Ivy League rules of
posting". So I am sure people have simply left because of the rules..."
------

Well, I was probably moderator at that time (or maybe not - I held the
post for 3 1/2 years).  I do not apologize for any moderation decision I
made, although being human I recognize I must have made some mistakes
because that is just the nature of being human.  What we have maintained
over the years is a polite list - one of the politest anywhere - and I
continue to believe that has served the true fan of college hockey well.
If someone left because of those rules, then maybe it was someone who
should have left.  BTW, the standard rule of thumb was that after
someone had posted once, they were not screened again unless an issue
came up.  There were a couple of people where screening was necessary,
though.

I see an analogy with the fans at a hockey game (who aren't moderated):
How many times have you seen an opposing goalie "stand on his head"
stopping everything thrown at him?  Then, finally, we get one by on the
second rebound.  The student section here, after the roar settles down,
starts the "Sieve, Sieve...." chant and other derisive comments.  That's
just part of the fun of the game - but as a hockey comment, its idiotic.
Contrast that to a coach who has to do an interview after a bitter loss
where he believes the officiating was less than impartial.  Does he dare
accuse the officials of that on air?  I think not.  He would be censured
if he did.  It would be fun to listen to an interview with a coach who
thought he had been shafted and said so, but if everyone aired his
feelings that way it would get old real quick and, in the meantime,
knowledgeable content goes in the toilet.

Bottom line:  I like the moderation part and think it keeps more people
coming back than it does keep people from staying.

Tom Rowe                            UWSP dept of Psych
Home of Division III National Champion Pointers
89, 90, 91 & 93 and National Runners-up 92 & 98