From:
Ralph N Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 05:25:52 -0500
Here's another vote for "missing the old days".  I enjoyed the amateur and
usually biased game recaps that were once posted here much more than I enjoy
those on USCHO.  I can get similar recaps to the USCHO ones from local
on-line newspapers.  The only advantage that USCHO has (admittedly a big
one) is that one can get local newspaper-quality recaps all in one place
instead of having to wander all over the net.  The recounts of trips to the
final four were some of the most entertaining reading that I have seen
anywhere.  I won't comment on the Box Scores that appear on USCHO for being
incomplete.  (Oops, I just did. ;-) )

What USCHO has that was never on Hockey-L are the various columns that
appear either weekly or at irregular intervals.  They are greatly
appreciated, as are the time and effort that the USCHO management obviously
puts into their work.

As to other discussions, the signal-to-noise ratio was much higher on
Hockey-L than it is on USCHO.  We often complained about the off-topic band
discussions here, but USCHO is much worse on this account.  USCHO attempts
to segregate on-topic discussion from off-topic discussion, but only half
succeeds.  That isn't to say that some of the off-topic discussion isn't
interesting, and it isn't to say that I don't participate in it, but if one
is looking for something specific, it is d@mn hard to find it there.

Let me add that the total amount of information that appears on USCHO is
much more than ever appeared on Hockey-L, but to find it one has to go
through a tremendous amount of garbage.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74