Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 12:22:23 -0400
> From: "Joe LaCour" <[log in to unmask]>
>
> That's interesting.  But if the Penguins were in such dire financial
straits
> a few seasons back, what makes one think that there would be enough
student
> and community support for an NCAA Div 1 team??

Well, the Pens financial situation wasn't caused by a lack of support.  It
was caused by an ownership group that spent more money than it was taking
in.  Of course, the main reason they weren't taking in enough cash was
because they continually negotiated deals that gave them a chunk of money
up-front, but were terrible for the team in the years following.

> A real test will be the level of support that the NAHL Pittsburgh Forge
> receive this season.  If they pack the Island Sports Center, then I'd give
> college hockey a fighting chance.

They should be a decent draw.  The Forge has a nice mix of local talent,
which will draw in the short-term.   They sold out their first exhibition
game last weekend.

> Some of the "named" local teams have somewhat successful ACHA teams.
> Frankly, the logical team in PA to go D1 is Penn State.

But not for the Penguins to add a partner to their proposed new building.
PSU would be too far away.

Of the teams that were mentioned, Duquesne is a logical choice, given the
Rooney's ties to the University.  Robert Morris would be the darkhorse.
Small school, but they started up a very successful football program in the
1990's (D1-AA) and were granted University status recently (will be renamed
Robert Morris University in Jan). It would also be nice since I was part of
the group that restarted the hockey club at the school in 1993.  :)

Erik Johnson