From:
Ralph N Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N Baer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 05:17:22 -0400
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> When
> RPI won the title in 1985 (it's first since 1954), both freshman
> goalie Darren Puppa and junior forward Adam Oates jumped to the
> professional ranks. Was it the best move for them?  It sure was
> for Oates. For Puppa, I'm not so sure but it was his decsion to
> make.  As for a college degree, to Oates'
> credit, he completed his degree while playing professional hockey.

First, Daren Puppa was a sophomore in 84-85.

I personally think that it turned out best for both Oates and Puppa.
Although Puppa had an injury-plagued career, he definitely made it in the
NHL, and he did get a degree eventually (from Denver).  Does anyone know
what he is doing these days?

The one who probably shouldn't have left as things turned out was George
Servinis.  On the other hand, perhaps John Carter, who stayed at RPI,
wouldn't have had the injury that he had as a senior if he had turned pro in
1985 -- who can tell?

However, I will always wonder if RPI would been able to repeat in 85-86 if
Oates, Puppa, and Servinis had stayed.

Ralph N. Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74