From:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 21:42:47 -0400
Along with all the other things fans can gripe about when it comes to the
NCAA tournament, one I have not seen mentioned is the quality of the program
that is put out every year.  During the BC-Michigan last Thursday nite, ,my
friend leaned over to me and asked who the leading scorer was for Michigan.
Well, of course, you can't find it in the $8 program since the only mention
of the four teams is the rosters team records.  I find it interesting that
the NCAA has enough time to put the up-to-date team results in the program,
but no the stats for each player.

I guess my question is, why can't they produce a better program?  The
articles were OK, including one on Charlie Holt written by the Portsmouth
Herald's Roger Brown.  And the results of the previous tournaments were in
there, although they might have been more elaborate.  But, with a two week
layoff between the regionals and the finals, why they could not give a
better account of the four teams participating is beyond me.

Also, does anyone else agree with me that the message board messages are
monotnous.  How many times do I have to read the question about who is the
only coach to win a championship at two different schools (it was Ned
Harkness, now joined by Jerry York)?  Can't they do a better job.  And
someone should tell them that the last time that a Michigan team was not in
the final four was not 1979 but 2000 (and also 1982, 1983, 1985,  & 1990).
That was only last year for god's sake!

Greg Ambrose