From:
Tom Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom Nelson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 14:10:08 -0500
Immediate Release:  March 7, 2001
Contact: Tom Nelson, 320-255-2141

SCSU's Scott Meyer Named National Player of the Week

St. Cloud, Minn. --  St. Cloud State University senior goalie Scott Meyer, a
resident of White Bear Lake and graduate of White Bear Lake High School, was
named U.S. College Hockey Online's NCAA Division I Defensive Player of the
Week for games played on March 2-3.
    Meyer charted two incredible performances during the #4 Huskies' sweep
of #5 ranked Minnesota over the weekend.  In action at Mariucci Arena on
March 2, Meyer stopped 37 of 38 shots as SCSU posted a 6-1 win.  On March 3,
Meyer carded 36 saves in a big 5-2 victory at the National Hockey Center in
St. Cloud.
    Meyer also helped the Huskies shutdown the vaunted Minnesota power play
over the weekend.  Minnesota, which is ranked #1 in NCAA Division I hockey
on the power play this season, went 0-of-15 against the Huskies in power
play situations during the two games.
    On the season, Meyer is on track to break the SCSU team record with a
solid .927 saves percentage and a 2.22 goals against average.  He led the
WCHA this season with a .924 saves percentage and currently ranks fourth
among Division I goalies with a .927 saves percentage.  His 2.22 goals
against average places Meyer eighth in the nation, and his .741 winning rate
is fifth best among Division I netminders.
    Meyer is 21-7-1 this year and only needs two more wins to break the SCSU
record of 22 season goalie wins set by Brian Leitza in 1997-98.
    In his career, Meyer is also on track to break SCSU's save percentage
record and goals against average record.  In four years at SCSU, Meyer
currently owns a .919 save percentage and a 2.39 goals against average.
    SCSU (27-8-1, 20-8-0 WCHA) will continue their season on March 9-11,
with action in the first round of the WCHA playoffs.  The Huskies will host
Alaska-Anchorage at 7:05 p.m. each night in the best of three series at the
National Hockey Center.  SCSU's 27 wins this season is the most in team
history (dating back to 1930-31) and its second place finish in the WCHA is
the Huskies' best-ever WCHA finish in team history