From:
Indy Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Indy Rutks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2001 00:04:36 -0600
Previously, Kathy wrote:

> My mom just told me that on WCCO radio this Sunday morning a couple of St.
> Cloud fans called up and said that in their paper it said that Troy Riddle
> and Grant Potunly purposely hit pucks into the St. Cloud student section
> during warm-ups and that someone got hurt by one of those pucks.
>
> <edit>
>
> Did anyone who was there see this supposed incident?

Here's the item in question from the St. Cloud Times
(http://www.sctimes.com/):

SCSU notebook: Fans hurt by flying pucks
By Kevin Allenspach
Staff Writer
Saturday night's game was effectively ruined for a couple of St. Cloud State
fans when at least one Minnesota player fired a puck into the middle of the
Dogg Pound, the student section during the pregame warm-ups.
Jolene Grace, a 20-year-old Big Lake woman, was struck in the right shoulder
and Erin Olsinski, who is from Wausau, Wis., was struck in the forehead by
another shot. Both were treated by emergency staff at the National Hockey
Center.

"Just like a couple of Gophers to ruin the night for us," said Jeff Lenz, a
St. Cloud State senior from Albertville.

Many fans in the student section accused Minnesota freshmen Grant Potulny
and Troy Riddle of intentionally lifting the pucks into the crowd. The
atmosphere at the sold-out Hockey Center was especially electric since the
Huskies thrashed the Gophers 6-1 on Friday at Mariucci Arena in Minneapolis.

I and my beer-soaked liver suffered through watching this game. All I can
say is that I seriously doubt the charges leveled against our Gopher lads,
since none of them seemed to demonstrate good puck-handling skills *during*
the game (however, I would be tempted to believe the DogPounders if they had
claimed that the Gophs were launching blind drop-passes into the crowd).

Back to my mantra: "It's only a game... It's only a game... It's only a
game..."

-Indy Rutks