From:
MJ Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
MJ Connors <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 16:29:27 -0500
         PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Providence College hockey coach Paul Pooley
today announced that student-athlete Jeff Mason of Easthampton, Mass. has
accepted a written letter of acceptance to attend Providence College
beginning in September 2001. Mason joins Derek Allan (Davidson,
Saskatchewan), Chris Chaput (Pawtucket, R.I.) and Eric Lundberg (Vernon,
Conn.) as new players on the 2000-01 Friar roster.
         "We are very excited to have Jeff as a member of our program,"
Pooley stated. "He possesses all of the intangibles that we look for in a
player-work ethic, character and leadership.  He has a very good hockey
sense and makes all the right decisions with and without the puck."
         Mason, a 5-foot-11-inch, 180-pound defenseman, is playing in his
third season for the New England Coyotes of the Eastern Junior Hockey
League.  Currently, Mason is fourth on the Coyotes in scoring with 33
points (14 goals, 19 assists) in 38 games and is the team's highest scoring
defenseman.  Mason is a two-time EJHL All-Star and is currently serving as
the Coyotes' team captain.   Mason is the son of Steven and Susan
Mason.  He is currently in his senior year at Easthampton (Mass.) High School.
         "Jeff is a tremendous skater, which allows him to be an effective
player both offensively and defensively and plays with passion and energy
each and every shift," Pooley said. "The addition of Jeff will help us in
our quest to become one of the top programs in the country."
         Mason, along with Lundberg and Chaput will join the current Friars
Jon DiSalvatore, Peter Zingoni and John Luszcz as former Coyotes on the
Providence roster.

-end-

M.J. Connors
Providence College