From:
Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 17:17:15 EST
I gather most of my list mates are fans of college hockey and not particpants
in the game?

The "Miracle on Ice' that we all rejoice is the fruition of Mariucci's
policies and the development of  American college hockey players. It is all
too easy to simply go to Canada (and now who knows where) to recruit players.
As recently as the 70s there was one non-Canadian in the NHL. Development of
the American game is a fine and noble goal. For UND to someday have a
homegrown bunch of players would be terrific. Instead we have schools like
Princeton playing the Canadian anthem before games and doing precious little
to promote youth hockey in New Jersey. Again I am not against non-Americans
at our colleges- they enrich the student body and bring diversity to campus-
I just think we ought to turn down the tap a bit and look to our own players.
In the long run having Americans on college teams will increase local media
interest; and promote the sport.