From:
John Knight <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 15:22:42 -0800
Exactly correct!
Union has offered this package to foreign students for many years
it is only recently it has been extended to Canadians.  Up until
this year Canadians were not considered foreign students.

This was not a case of concessions necessarily being made to the hockey
program,
but a case of the hockey program being able to take advantage of a change
in policy widely available to a number of students.  Lets lighten up on
the sanctimonious "halls of academia".  For the most part Union is the only
team playing in a major conference following DIII financial aid policies.

This certainly positions Union for more success, but is only a piece of the
puzzle.

John

>If I understand things correctly, Union has a program in which they
>give financial aid to foreign students.  This is probably in order to
>get a more rounded student body, or some such thing.  Historically,
>Canadians were not eligible for this benefit because besides for
>saying "Eh" a lot they are close to USAians in culture.  The recent
>change, attributed to the declining value of the Canadian dollar,
>allowed Canadians to benefit also, and it just so happens that is
>where most of Union's hockey players come from.

>Anyone from Union want to comment?  I must admit that I have not
>understood Union's hockey goals from the day that they hired Ned.

Ralph Baer
Gee, this list finally awakened. :-)