Date:
Thu, 4 Nov 1999 12:18:52 -0700
At 10:59 AM 11/4/99 -0800, scott r quakkelaar wrote:

>considering umn's minnesota only recruiting process, what's the
>likelihood that someone could file a discrimination suit against the
>university and win?

That's an interesting question that I've asked of HOCKEY-L folks a couple
of times. I'm certainly no lawyer, but my guess would be the only way that
would happen would be if an out-of-state, top recruit enrolled at Minnesota
purely on an academic basis, and then was denied the opportunity to try out
for the team. I believe NCAA rules require that all D1 programs *must*
offer a yearly tryout for walk-ons.

But if they were allowed to try out and then didn't make the team, it would
be tough to prove discrimination; how do you prove to a court that you're a
good enough player, and that you had the right attitude during tryouts, the
proper fitness, etc?

greenie