From:
Larry Winer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 08:30:29 EDT
I appreciate the fact we are having a civilised debate on this issue.
Football is often the sport that generates the $ for the rest of the sports.
It is also a high visibility sport. Don't tear down football to build up
hockey or womens sports. When those sports (Michigan has more dead season
football ticket holders than live hockey season ticket holders) pack the kind
of numbers that are seen on Saturday afternoons then we can equate football
and in football at D1 you need to be at least 2 deep at every spot to be
competitive and those 85 scholarships are spread over 5 years in football so
it is not as gross as one may think. Quotas stink and are un-American. Title
IX has killed more atheltic programs then it has helped. Eliminate football
and we'll wind up with intramural athletics