From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:18:51 -0500
I would say no as well.  Compared to the other teams, no.

> I wonder if they did an RPI comparison on the ECAC vs CCHA/WCHA/HEA  to
> decide the 12th team?

I don't think so, I think the PWR was used.

With the idea originating from the USCHO PWR master, Tim Brule and a little
expansion of it:

OSU was the last team to make it.

The committee only used the PWR criteria for team they considered to be on
the bubble.

Here is the best guess as to what happened.

The Committee added the 10 picks that were considered no brainers.

North Dakota
New Hampshire
Maine
Michigan State
Boston College
Clarkson
Colorado College
Denver
Michigan
St Lawrence

Using the RPI they then determined the so called bubble teams

Northern Michigan
Quinnipiac
Notre Dame
RPI
Princeton
Ohio State

They immediately through out Quinnipiac. And ranked the teams based on
criteria ( a mini PWR)

Northern Michigan   3
Notre Dame          2
Rensselaer          2
Ohio State          2
Princeton           1

Northern then earned a birth and Princeton was thrown out. The remaining
three teams form a loop

OSU beats Notre Dame who beats Rensselaer who beats OSU

They then looked at the individual comparisons.

So here is the comparison between RPI and Ohio State:

    Ohio State vs Rensselaer
RPI      0.5306  0           0.5334  1
L16     9- 5- 2  1          8- 7- 1  0
TUC     7- 6- 3  1          4- 8- 0  0
H2H              0                   0
COP     3- 2- 2  0          6- 1- 1  1
PTS              2                   2

So as you see there was a tie here.  There is also a tie between Notre
Dame and RPI which was broken by the RPI criteria:

    Notre Dame vs Rensselaer
RPI      0.5360  1           0.5334  0
L16     5- 8- 3  0          8- 7- 1  1
TUC     5- 8- 5  1          4- 8- 0  0
H2H              0                   0
COP     2- 1- 0  0          2- 0- 0  1
PTS              2                   2

Then the OSU-Notre Dame comparison went as follows:

    Notre Dame vs Ohio State
RPI      0.5360  1           0.5306  0
L16     5- 8- 3  0          9- 5- 2  1
TUC     4- 6- 5  0          5- 5- 3  1
H2H              1                   2
COP    15-11- 5  0         17-11- 3  1
PTS              2                   5

Ohio State in a big way.

So the comparison actually went the following way, without any ties being
broken:

OSU            1.5
RPI              1.0
Notre Dame  0.5

based on that, Ohio State gets the bid over RPI by 0.5 of a comparison
win.

So, you ask how close was it?

Damn close.

jayson