From:
Jayson Moy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 10:25:54 -0500

> Looks like SLU is going west. They would be the #5 west seed if the
> 6th western team is someone like NMU, Notre Dame or Quinnipiac, since
> SLU beats most other candidates. The lone exception is Michigan,
> which beats SLU on the criteria. So if Michigan ends up in the west
> regional, it could be #5 Michigan and #6 SLU.

I think that is exactly what will happen in the west.  Michigan is the #5 and
SLU is the #6.  The numbers say it should be the other way around, but you
want to avoid the possibility of having MSU meet Michigan.

I would think that the committee wants to keep the possibility of having the top
two teams from any conference (based on regular season record) meeting until
they reach the semifinals.

> If the final two spots go to CCHA teams, Michigan MIGHT be kept in
> the west region, sending the two lower-ranked teams to the other side.
>
> So one possibility is:
>

> 5W Michigan (C)                  6E [CCHA               ]
> 4W Denver (W)                    3E Maine (H)
>      1W North Dakota (W) --+--2E Clarkson (E)
>      2W Mich State (C)   --+--1E New Hampshire (H)
> 3W CO College (W)                4E Boston College (H)
> 6W St Lawrence (E)               5E [CCHA               ]

That makes perfect sense because two other CCHA teams should get in (OSU
and Northern)

> So I see a nearly-random assignment of teams into the #5-6 seeds in
> each region. Even if the committee does something systematic, it may
> still look like it was random. (^:

I think it is systematic though.  Given some of the criteria that we have seen in
the past, we know that the committee doesn't mind having the possibility of a
second round matchup between two teams that met in the conference tourney
finals (OSU-MSU last year), and they don't want to put the top two regular
season teams (from the same conference) in the same bracket (see Michigan-
Michigan State last year).

I think given that thought process the selection is pretty clear.

> As a recap, here is what I see as a given:
>
> 5W [                  ]          6E [                  ]
> 4W Denver (W)                    3E Maine (H)
>      1W North Dakota (W) --+--2E Clarkson (E)
>      2W Mich State (C)   --+--1E New Hampshire (H)
> 3W CO College (W)                4E Boston College (H)
> 6W [                  ]          5E [                  ]
>

> with SLU to be in one of the open western slots, and Michigan and the
> final two teams to possibly show up ANYWHERE in the remaining 3 slots.

Just to recreate the above using the criteria that looks like it will be used we
have:

5W Michigan                       6E Northern Michigan
4W Denver (W)                    3E Maine (H)
     1W North Dakota (W) --+--2E Clarkson (E)

     2W Mich State (C)   --+--1E New Hampshire (H)
3W CO College (W)                4E Boston College (H)
6W St. Lawrence                    5E Ohio State

Makes sense from all the angles.  Michigan stays west because of the
comparison over Ohio State, so Ohio State goes east.

Northern goes east because they are the last team to make the field.  As the
last team, they would draw the highest ranked team that did not get a bye.  By
the numbers that is Maine.  Also, Maine gets the bracket which has the lowest
seed of the bye teams, which is Clarkson.

You also now have avoided any chance of the top two finishers in a conference
meeting until the semifinals, but you do have the possiblility of two matchups of
the conference tourney finals (BC-UNH and Den-ND), but that's okay.

> By the time you read this, everything may have been announced. If so,
> how did I do? Better yet, how did the committee do? Discussion on
> HOCKEY-L, of course.

I think you did great.  The top seeds are exactly as they should be according to
the numbers and everything falls into line.

The tough part is the other seedings and that's where using past seedings
helps.

jayson