From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 1999 20:36:16 -0500
Joe Lacour writes:

>John Whelan, please help!!!!
>
>>From today's Boston Globe.....
>
>               A popular question this time of year: What Division 1
>teams will be selected
>               for the NCAA Regionals?
>
>               The ECAC, Hockey East, CCHA, and WCHA each get two
>automatic
>               berths, one for the postseason champion and one for the
>regular-season
>               champion. If the same team wins the regular-season and
>postseason titles,
>               the league's other berth, according to St. Lawrence coach
>Joe Marsh, the
>               selection committee chairman, is decided by the following
>criteria:
>
>               1.) Ratings percentage index (RPI), which consists of
>won-lost record (35
>               percent), opponents' winning percentage (50 percent), and
>opponents'
>               opponents' winning percentage (15 percent);
>
>               2.) Head-to-head competition, common opponents, results
>during the last
>               16 games, and results against other teams under
>consideration.
>
>               After the eight automatic berths are settled, four
>at-large teams are picked,
>               also using the above criteria.

>My Daddy told me a long time ago that never believe everythng you read in
>the Globe, but this seems to fly in the face of everything that we've
>read here over the past two years where #2 (PWR) was the first factor and
>#1 (the RPI) was used to break ties.
>
>"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story" was what some writer
>at the Globe told my father.
>
>BTW, if you're looking for the article, it's in the Maine - UNH story
>(www.boston.com/globe/sports)

The article was written by Bob Monahan who has been covering the college
hockey beat for at least 25 years.  You would think he would learn
something about the nuances of the sport in that time but, sad to say, he
hasn't.  He just takes the press releases he gets and carves out an
article.  Any self-respecting college newspaper reporter could do a better
job.  Even I could.

>Speaking of Maine - UNH, that series looks like the barn burner of the
>weekend.  The loser COULD face a 3rd seed East (and the extra game) if
>the ECAC RS champion does the double.  Predictions anyone?  Also, does
>the personal winner between Krog and Kariya become the defacto Eastern
>Hobey Hopeful?

I'm biased of course, but the fact that UNH will split the goaltending
duties might be an advantage.  Also the fact that they are playing on "Lake
Whittemore" in front of a complete sellout will help.  I haven't seen this
much excitement about a UNH hockey game in Durham since the 70's.

As for Krog vs. Kariya.  I think it is pretty much acknowledged now that if
an eastern guy is going to get the Hobey, it will be Krog.  His credentials
are impeccable - leading scorer in the country, captain of the 4th ranked
team in the country, 3.6 GPA, peer leader, etc., etc.  Kariya is a good
player but, overall, a notch below Krog.

Greg Ambrose
GO UNH BLUE!!!
BEAT THE BEARS!!!
KROG FOR HOBEY!!!