From:
Steven Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steven Rockey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 11:53:13 -0500
Joe LaCour says:

>It seemed that the year before the
>sticks were down when the players went near the boards and the next year
>the sticks were in the face.

I also watched right through the change and I just do not recall any
dramatic change in stick height.  I do recall fewer facial injuries.  I do
recall players being more willing to go to the ice to block shots.  I do
recall players going into the boards or head on checks (collisions) with
more speed.  I think face masks sped up the game and made it better to
watch but more speed means more injuries.

Not saying Joe is wrong it is just that both of us are working from
recollections of impressions.

--Steve

Steven Rockey
Mathematics Librarian