From:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:37:32 -0500
Another reason UNH may have felt it necessary to produce the Krog ad is
that, so far, the Fox Sports New England Hockey East game of the week
might just as well be called the Boston College game of the week.  Three
of the first four, and five of eight scheduled games involve BC, while
UNH has yet to appear (the Wildcats do appear in the next two games,
however, and I'd be surprised if the March 6-7 TBD game doesn't turn out
to be one of the UNH-Maine games).  For non Eastern Hobey voters (and
fans in general), the Fox game is pretty much the only chance to see HE
players, and Gionta is getting a lot more air time so far.  And Sean
Grande, who I suspect may not even seen UNH play this year because of
his busy broadcast schedule, has already anointed Gionta as HE player of
the year.  I suspect UNH just felt they had to do something to counter
this.

(Don't get me wrong.  I'm not suggesting that there's a conspiracy
involved here.  BC was projected to be the class of HE before the season
started.  It's probably easier to get the equipment and personnel to BC
than to UNH.  And, frankly, UNH really hasn't played in any "marquee"
games that would be attractive to a TV audience this calendar year.  I
think those are the main reasons BC has been featured so often.)

Chris