From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 5 Dec 1998 12:01:37 -0500
John Whelan wrote:

> <<< Union goaltender Leeor Shtrom received two game disqualifications in
>
> tonight's 5-2 loss to Cornell (don't get me started).  The only time
> I've seen this was in an ACHA Division II game, and the effect was
> cumulative, one game suspension for the first and two more for the
> second.  Does it work this way in the NCAA as well, or was this a
> league rule?  I have some vague impression that each subsequent DQ in
> the same season carries a longer suspension.  >>>>>

... which generated John's reply to himself:

<<< "Union goaltender Leeor Shtrom was whistled for a pair of
disqualification penalties and will have to sit out the team's next
three games."

Guess that answers my question.  It is cumulative.  >>>

John, the NCAA rulebook goes to great pains to explain that the
"progressive game-disqualification structure" increases the DQ penalty by
one game for each successive infraction.  However, it completely fails to
clarify whether the pointer for applying this cumulative count of offenses
is reset to zero after each game, each season, or never;  i.e., does the
progressive rule apply when a player is assessed more than one DQ in a
single game, a single season, or a single four-year career?

Clearly, the NCAA's INTENT is to apply it over at least a season, since
the rulebook specifically lists the punishment for up to four DQs and then
says "the progression shall continue beyond the fourth DQ."  Surely they
aren't addressing a player getting six DQs in one game, though someone
might take that position based on the rulebook's paragraph structure.

The real ambiguity arises when you note the specific provision which
requires that a suspension penalty which hasn't been completely served by
the last game of a season must carry over and be served in the opening
game(s) of the next season.  Does that also imply that the NCAA intends
that the "accumulated DQ counter" is never reset to zero during the
player's college eligibility?  Does a player who receives one DQ in his
4th season sit out 7 games because he had two DQs in each of his first
three seasons?  Can't tell from the rulebook.  It could matter.

Bob