From:
Nate Huang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Nov 90 18:56:16 -0500
My senior year at Cornell (1989) was great for fish tossing at the
Harvard game.  The initial barrage came during the announcement of
Harvard's starting lineup.  More came after Cornell's first goal, and
I even threw a little strainer (sieve) past Alain Roy into the Harvard
net.  At my request in the personals section of the Cornell paper, the
student section stood the entire game.  Of course, we lost, too.

Yes, it is tradition for (usually) two live chickens to be tied to the
Harvard posts between the 2nd and 3rd periods.  The security allows
this, and the chickens are removed immediately after the student gets
off the ice and is escorted out of the building.  One year, one of the
chickens was fatally injured with a broken neck in the student's climb
over the boards.  A sad sight for all.  Rumor has it a fraternity at
Cornell has the chicken honor every year.  Can any of you fellow
Cornellians verify this?

The fish is Cornell's way of making fun of Harvard being in Boston, in
retaliation for Harvard making fun of Cornell's Agriculture School.
It must be said: the Harvard students go "moooo mooooo" and paw the
air in front of them with their arms when Cornell plays at Harvard.
For what that's worth.

Nate