From:
Bob Griebel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 14 Nov 1998 00:42:42 EST
<< From:        [log in to unmask] (Mark Lewin)
I believe that when teams play a two game series, back to back, the
traditional handshake does not take place after the first game, but only after
the second.

Mark, that has always been my understanding regarding tradition.  However, I
thought I remembered being surprised when I read the Good Book and, taking
another look, I found this official rule:

Rule 7, GAME PROTOCOL
Sec 2, Guidelines
Para. g.  At the conclusion of each game, players shall
    assemble at center ice for the traditional handshake.
    Coaches should exchange handshakes and remain at
    their respective bench areas until the conclusion of the
    player handshakes.

Of course, this rule has no teeth.  Immediately preceding this paragraph is a
boldfaced blurb mandating bench minor penalties for violations of all PRIOR
paragraphs.  But nobody goes to jail for refusing to shake hands.

Bob