From:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeremy D Hall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 16:56:02 -0500
On Thu, 22 Oct 1998 14:56:27 -0700 "Tuthill, Richard S (PS, PE)"
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>        On the subject of the MAAC, I don't think we should get too
>wrapped around the axle about the UConn vs. Penn State game. UConn had
>been on the ice for five days, they skated six lines and three goalies
>(one of which had not played at the college level and gave up four
>goals), they played four periods of 20, 15, 15, and 20 minutes, and
>the
>coach sat in the stands evaluating players. The next day they cut
>seven
>players. For UConn, which did not list this game on their schedule,
>that
>scrimmage was a varsity tryout. I wouldn't read anything into it.
>
>        -- Dick Tuthill

So, let me get this straight:  UConn kept putting fresh players in, and
Penn State still won 6-1?  :^)

All kidding aside, I did make a small error in a previous post:  I
thought Canisius was the western NY division I school that Penn State
beat on a regular basis.  It was pointed out to me (rather tactlessly by
an expert on such matters) that it was not Canisius (I can't remember who
it was, now).  At any rate, I apologize for that error, but I still say
Penn State (and maybe 3 or 4 other top-flight ACHA teams) would give the
bottom third of D-I a run for their money.

If only there were an on-ice way to settle that....

Jeremy Hall
Clarkson '91
(and for those who wonder, yes I *did* attend PSU for grad school briefly
in the early 90's)

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]