From:
"Hagwell, Steve" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hagwell, Steve
Date:
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 09:16:52 -0500
The NCAA rules with regard to the goal crease have not changed. In short,
what you've seen for the past several years is what you will see this year
at NCAA rinks where the institutions control the facility.

As for playing in rinks where NHL or IHL teams also play and where the NCAA
institution is not in charge, the NCAA position is simple: There will be
instances in which collegiate games will be played using goal creases not in
compliance with NCAA Ice Hockey Rules, and that such a scenario is
permissible given the fact that teams/conferences have no recourse. In other
words, in many instances the collegiate teams can't control the crease
design and thus, must play using the NHL design.

The NCAA has instructed teams/conferences involved in regular-season and/or
tournament games to request the arena hosts to change the crease to comply
with the NCAA configuration when possible (i.e., tournaments). That is not
to say that the hosts will change the crease, but there's always a
possibility.

Steve Hagwell
NCAA Staff Liaison to the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Rules Committee